Tuesday, April 24, 2007

English Italian Forum

Another sample from my English-Italian Forum

in Inglese,

Ho fatto che cosa hai voluto. =I did what you wanted

Che pensi? =What do you think (obviously.. about my avatar)

(Ho parlato corretto?) = Did I say it right?

That is what I was trying to say in Italian, with a lot of mistakes, obviously.

Anyway, ciao for now. Hopefully it won’t be long until I can return.
_____________________________________

Hallo Tom,

I hope you’ll come back soon. Just a little grammatical thing to let you understand exactly the Italian use.

I did what you wanted = (io) ho fatto quello che (tu) hai voluto

In English only a single word: "what"; in Italian two different words: "quello che".

According to the Italian structure. there are two different sentences:

1) ho fatto quello: subject “io”=”I”; object “quello” = “that thing” [dimostrative pronoun used as object of “I did”];

2) che tu hai voluto (relative sentense: subject “tu”=”you”; object “che”=” which” [relative pronoun used like object of “you wanted”]).

You in English use “what” for both functions (object of “I did” and object of “you wanted”), we in Italian use two different pronouns (quello [dimostrative], che [relative]) end if you would translate exactly according to the Italian structure you would translate like this:

io ho fatto quello che tu hai voluto = I did that (thing) which you wanted (terrible English but exacly like Italian structure).
____________________________

Are in you interested in learning Italian? ... check my site:

http://xoomer.alice.it/learn_italian/


Are you interested in a serious English-Italian discussion board? ... check my forum:


http://www.spazioforum.it/forums/?mforum=essereindue

Nothing commercial on my sites but only friendly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a writer and I'm looking for someone who could help me with some dialogue. It's in English, spoken by an Italian, and I would like to be sure that the syntax and grammer would match what an Italian would actually say in English. If you can help, please email me at thepen28@yahoo.com
thank you,
Linda G.