Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Italian history in pills

Which monument is this? We call it "altare della patria" now it contains the tomb of the Unknown Soldier, an anonymous soldier fallen in war 1915-1918 (not 1914-1915, because Italy entered the war in 1915). On this monument two phrases are written PATRIAE UNITATI – CIVIUM LIBERTATI, that means “to the unit of the native land” and “to the freedom of the citizens”. In origin it was the monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, first King of Italy, born in 1820, king of Sardinia from 1848, king of Italy from 1861, died in 1878.
And now we return to the more important issue. Where are you, all over the world, Italian art lovers? I have already said these things… I’m becoming boring, I repeat, repeat, always the same thing… I have to change my music in order to get some more audience… perhaps it’s pathetic… but I’d want to succeed in finding some person interested to these things, I’d like only to exchange some ideas. What do Americans or Canadians or Australians think about Italy (art and culture but also daily life)? Have you ever been in Italy? Which impression did you bring back? Would you come here a second time?